REPORTS TO: Orchard Supervisor
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The Orchard Worker may perform any combination of the following duties concerned with the general care of agriculture, including planting, cultivating, harvesting, and otherwise participating in related activities under close supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The essential functions listed below are not intended to reflect all duties that may be assigned to this position. Borton & Sons, Inc. may augment duties, including essential functions, at its discretion.
• Plant, cultivate (tree training, thinning, pruning), and harvest apples, pears, and cherries.
• Use hand tools including, but not limited to: shovels, hoes, knives, shears, clippers, loppers and saws.
• Spread, clean, and remove plastic and reflective materials from ground.
• Perform duties such as tilling, ditching, shoveling, hoeing, hauling, ground preparation, and other manual tasks.
• Lift, carry and load/unload products and supplies
• May use power equipment including but not limited to: tractors, planters, mowers, plows, sprayers, cultivators, power shears, chain saws, high lifts, forklifts, skid loaders.
• Use ladders up to 12 feet in height.
• May install and/or maintain irrigation systems and water lines.
• Perform all duties in a safe manner, including the wearing of appropriate personal protective equipment.
• Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ENTRY:
• Ability to understand and follow directions.
• Related experience in tree fruit industry preferred.
• Certifications and licenses may be required for specific tasks – driving, chemical application, etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is done in the field for long periods of time. Workers may assist in handling product weighing up to 60 pounds and lifting to a height of five feet. Workers must work on their feet in bent
positions for long periods. Work requires repetitive movements and extensive walking. Work is required in fields when plants are wet with dew and rain, and may be required during light rain, snow, moderate winds, direct sun, high humidity and extreme temperatures, which can range from 10 to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Workers may be required to work during occasional showers not severe enough to stop operations. Allergies to plants, chemicals, honey bees, etc. may affect a worker’s ability to perform the job.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this job with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to disability and the ability of the department/division to accommodate the limitations.
Borton & Sons, Inc. is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other status in accordance with law.
Posted on September 30, 2022
2550 Borton Road
Yakima, WA 98903